He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. ~ Matthew 28:6
A simple object—the nail—shows just how powerful Jesus’ death on the cross was for us. Crucifixion is one of the most painful and excruciating forms of punishment leading to death ever contrived. Jesus’ arms were stretched wide and His feet crossed. Nails… Made of heavy, tapered, square shaped iron about 5-9 inches long were used. One nail was driven in each of His wrists (not as most paintings portray in the hands) and one nail through His feet. In agony Jesus hung His head and died for us.
Jesus paid the ultimate price for our sins through three massive rugged nails! Nails that spiritually meant the difference between heaven or hell, sin or forgiveness, sorrow or joy, life or death. In the Old Testament, Jesus is represented as a unique nail fastened by God in a sure place for a glorious throne (Isaiah 22:20-25). In the New Testament, Jesus wasn’t overcome by men… but laid down His life (1 John 3:16). Everything that matters was made or broken by the will of God on the cross through the nail.
- The nail of sin (Isaiah 53:4-5; 2 Corinthians 5:21)
- The nail pierced (Psalm 22:16; Zechariah 12:10; John 19:37)
- The nail fastened (Isaiah 41:7; Jeremiah 10:4)
- The nail freed (Hebrew 9:12-14; Colossians 2:14)
- The nail of forgiveness (Luke 23:34)
- The nail of loyalty (Luke 22:42; Matthew 16:24)
- The nail of love (John 18:37)
- The nail of proof (John 20:25)
- The nail of freedom (Exodus 21:2-6; Colossians 2:13-16)
- The nail of holiness (Zechariah 14:20)
- The nail of faith (Judges 4:17-24)
- The nail of righteousness (Ecclesiastes 12:11; 2 Corinthians 5:21)
Jesus saw beyond the painful nails piercing His flesh to the hammer-holding hands yet un-cleansed (Luke 23:34). He saw those He came to save—who were yet in sin. So, He transformed the nails… into everything that we need. When we surrender… we know that Jesus is able to keep us (2 Timothy 1:12) … He has risen! Therefore… we can live because of His nails.
God Bless… I am Wiley’s granddaughter.