Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. ~Matthew 5:16
At first, I thought that I was supposed to write about “evil begets evil”. But as I listened more carefully, I realized that the message is about “light begets light”. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light (Psalm 36:9). When we live in the light of God’s Word, we are in the light—and His light—allows us to reflect light into the world. Because by living in the light, we are filled with the very light, and become ourselves illumined.
It is amazing to realize that in Matthew 5:14, Jesus told a crowd of ordinary men and women that You are the light of the world. In our human limitations and imperfections, we often forget the power of our God given light that pierces through the fiercest darkness. The Light that—
- chases away evil and provides a vision and a purpose for our lives.
- verifies truth and makes things knowable that escapes our natural understanding.
- exposes sin and sickness and heals us both naturally and spiritually.
- prevents disaster and empowers us to overcome discouragement and defeat.
- promotes love, provides wealth, and highlights good works.
- offers safe passage and gives sound guidance as we make decisions.
- clarifies, inspires, and reveals what is best for us and the best in us.
- glorifies God… and so much more…
When we walk in the light, we put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires (Romans 13:14). Whether we are introverts or extraverts, we are called to be a light to those around us. Therefore, we must take the time to interact with each other and nurture relationships—not to bring recognition to ourselves—but to glorify God! We must tell about God’s goodness and spread His light—that it may give grace to those who hear (Ephesians 4:29). For, it is an honor to share the divine light that we have received. We rejoice, in knowing that it is not our light that people see, but the Light of Jesus Christ!